At Lonsdale Law, we are very mindful that we must always consider our client’s budget against the need to provide our clients with expert, accurate and timely advice. While we do not attempt to be the “cheapest” law firm, we know from client feedback and our large retention of repeat customers that generally our clients consider our fees to be very fair and reasonable. Make sure to check out our breakdown of some difficult legal terms and our tips for keeping cost down. We accept cheques, Visa, MasterCard, and Interac.
WHAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR:
When you hire us to act for you, you are buying our time, experience and skill. The more time you use, the more it will cost. However, there are steps you can take to keep your costs down, which are described here.
FACTORS IN CALCULATING
In deciding what fee, rate or percentage to charge, we will take into account the following facts:
- -The extent and character of the services to be rendered.
- -How quickly the work needs to be done.
- -The labour, time and trouble involved.
- -How much of the work can be performed by paralegals and support staff.
- -The character and importance of the matter.
- -The amount of money or value of property involved.
- -The results achieved.
FLAT FEE - If you hire us to provide a routine service, we can usually quote a flat fee regardless of how much work is involved. We generally quote flat fees for business incorporations, simple wills, real estate transactions and some business purchase/sale transactions. We have a lot of experience in these areas of law, and our flat fee structures have been established to cover the majority of these types of transactions. Therefore, we almost never have to bill additional fees or disbursements to our clients once a flat fee has been quoted.
HOURLY RATE - Sometimes we just cannot predict how much time will be required in a particular case. For example, a complicated lease or dispute over the custody of a child may get very involved. In those situations we will keep a record of the time spent on the case and charge you an hourly rate. If the case involves a court trial, your lawyer may set a daily trial rate.
LUMP SUM FEE - Some services don't fit conveniently into any of the above categories and at the end of a case we and our client are able to agree on a lump sum fee which fairly reflects the amount of time spent by us and other relevant factors mentioned above.
KEEPING COSTS DOWN
BEFORE COMING TO SEE US:
- -Write out the issues upon which you want advice.
- -Get all your papers and documents in order.
- -Write out a chronology of events.
- -Note the names and addresses of people relevant to your matter.
DURING YOUR APPOINTMENT AT LONSDALE LAW:
- -Stick to the facts.
- -Tell your lawyer all the facts, good and bad.
- -Ask questions if you don't understand the advice you are given.
- -Ask how you can assist to speed up the case and reduce your costs.
- -Ask your lawyer to keep you informed of developments in the case.
AFTER YOU'VE TALKED TO US:
While some of the following points may sound a little unfriendly, we certainly don’t mean them to be. However, we do want our clients to know ways in which their legal account can be kept to a minimum:
- -Make calls to your lawyer only when necessary, you will be updated as needed.
- -Except in emergencies, write (email/fax) us instead of calling.
- -If you do call, talk to your lawyer's secretary first.